What to Expect on the Day of Your Child's Surgery
Your physician will let you know when you need to arrive at Sunrise Children's Hospital. At Pre-Admission you will be instructed exactly where to report on the day of surgery.
Food and Drink
- No food or drink (including water) is allowed from midnight the night before your child's surgery until after your procedure unless your physician writes specific orders otherwise.
- Food and drink for non-patients is only allowed in the waiting room and will not be allowed in pre-op or the recovery room.
- Check with your physician prior to surgery to find out if and when your child should stop food and liquids.
- Check with your physician regarding daily medicines your child takes. Your child may be allowed to take these medications with sips of water. The physician may make written exceptions for infants and children.
- Make sure your child drinks any special solutions ordered by his/her doctor to prepare him/her for certain procedures. If your child is unable to drink this solution, notify your physician.
For your peace of mind, it is important to leave all valuables, such as money, jewelry or any article of unusual value or small size, at home. We do not want your experience with us to be upsetting because of the loss of valuable or sentimental possessions. You should only bring items that are needed while at the facility.
What to Bring
To make your child feel more comfortable, bring along a special toy, blanket or favorite stuffed animal.
What Your Child Should Wear
- Loose-fitting, comfortable, clothing such as a warm up suit or lounge wear.
- Leave valuables, including jewelry and watches at home.
- Do not wear contact lenses, makeup or lotions.
- Bring a list of any medications your child is taking, along with dosages.
When the Patient is a Minor
When the patient is a minor (under the age of 18), a parent or legal guardian must be present to sign consent forms. The parent or legal guardian will need to remain in the lobby/waiting area during the procedure to be available for questions and to receive a report directly from the doctor immediately following the procedure. If you are the legal guardian, please bring your guardianship papers with you the day of surgery.
Siblings under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Siblings will not be allowed in Pre-Op. However, siblings under the age of 18 are not allowed in the Recovery Room. Siblings must wait in the waiting room with adult supervision while the patient remains in recovery.